AL WAKRAH, QATAR – DECEMBER 02: Andre Ayew of Ghana reacts during the line up for the National anthems prior to kick off in the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Group H match between Ghana and Uruguay at Al Janoub Stadium on December 02, 2022 in Al Wakrah, Qatar. (Photo by Youssef Loulidi/Fantasista/Getty Images)Andre Ayew has revealed why he chose not to publicly react to his omission from Ghanas squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup despite calls for his inclusion.Speaking on the Obi One Podcast hosted by former Chelsea midfielder John Mikel Obi in Accra, Ayew said he was playing regularly for NAC Breda at the time and believed he had a strong case to be considered.I was playing regularly for NAC Breda, and I know some people were calling for me to be part. To be fair, some of the players who went to the World Cup, they didn’t have a lot of game time in the season, Ayew said.People said a lot of things.The former Black Stars captain admitted that he felt he had been treated unfairly by people within the Ghana Football Association, the media and elsewhere, but deliberately chose not to respond publicly.A lot of people in the GFA, media and elsewhere did me a lot of wrong. I felt it. But I did not say one word, he said.I cannot spit on my country because of certain people. Ghana is more important.Ayew has not played for Ghana since March 26, 2024, when he came on as a late substitute in the Black Stars 2-2 friendly draw against Uganda in Marrakesh, Morocco.His omission from Ghanas squad for the 2026 World Cup brought renewed debate over his international future, particularly given his continued involvement at club level.Despite the disappointment, Ayew said his decision to remain silent was driven by his commitment to Ghana rather than any individual involved in the decision.The 36-year-old has now turned his attention to his club career and recently confirmed that he is negotiating with two or three clubs as he looks to continue playing this season.



Source link